Spaghetti on a Sick Day

"I love fall food," said my husband in between bites of spaghetti on Tuesday evening.
"I know," I agreed, taking another bite, "I've been craving pasta, chili, and mashed potatoes."
And now, finally, the weather is beginning to cooperate with my cravings because, as we all know, you can't eat fall comfort food on a hot day.


On Tuesday our family was badly in need of just that sort of food. We had progressively all come down with bad colds: first James on Saturday night, then me on Sunday night, and then Lane on Monday. Luckily for us, we felt no guilt staying inside and vegging out all day because it was cold out with showers every so often.
Spaghetti was just the thing for dinner. I decided to blog about it in continuation of my easy-and-delicious-stand-by's series. I don't ever measure anything unless I am baking or going to write a blog about the dish, and sometimes not even then. So here is my recipe for spaghetti, with guesses as to the actual amounts written next to the ingredients in parenthesis:

a good amount of garlic, minced (4 cloves)
sploosh of olive oil (2 tbsp)
half a package of ground turkey (1/2 lb)
3/4 jar of marinara (2 cups)
1 can of diced tomatoes
sprinkling of Italian seasoning (2 tsp)
pinch of dried fennel (1/2 tsp)
glug of red wine (1/4 cup) (Don't worry, it was added after I removed James portion.)
3 handfuls of whole-wheat spaghetti noodles (3/4 of a box)
fresh shredded parmesan cheese


Cook noodles according to package directions.
Heat garlic in olive oil over medium-high heat until just beginning to brown. Then add turkey, breaking up with a wooden spoon. Turn heat to medium. Cook turkey through (165 degrees). Add marinara and tomatoes, sprinkle with Italian seasoning and dried fennel. Mix well. Remove amount needed for anyone not of drinking age and set aside to let cool. Add red wine, cover and cook a few more minutes.
Serve sauce over noodles and sprinkle with cheese. Enjoy!

Post a Comment

Hooray for (nice) comments!... Thanks!

\