Feelin' the Love Granola

Wow! I am so impressed by the amazing response to my husbands' face book post that it almost makes me want to reinstate my own face book account (I officially exited society as our generation knows it about two months ago; I just never really understood the appeal...)


Maybe I would rejoin face book if all my "friends" could be different foods. Just imagine the newsfeeds (that is what they are called, right?). My "friend" Roasted Red Pepper may post something like: "just got tossed on a crostini with Olive Oil,  Basil, and Fresh Mozzarella... Later I'm going to hang out with Pasta and Parmesan." Now, there would be something I could justify spending my time to read.


Please don't think that I am anti-facebook, or a facebook-hater, I just was never good at keeping up with it, which only frustrated my friends and myself. So, instead, I will update you on my life via blog. And really, who cares where I go and what I do? I'll let you know what I eat.



This granola recipe is so simple, and it can be adapted to many different diets: gluten free, vegan. Also, the types of grains and add-ins can be varied, I always just use what I have on hand. There are two keys to making excellent granola: 1.) make sure you use the right ratio of dry to wet ingredients, and 2.) set a timer. Whether its a kitchen timer, a watch, or an alarm clock, you must set a timer. Otherwise you will promise yourself that you will keep an eye on the clock, but before you know it you will smell something burning in the next room as you sit watching the latest Modern Family you TIVOed, and then you will cause your house-mates to think you are loosing your mind as you leap off the sofa and run into the kitchen shouting expletives about granola. Don't believe you could be that easily distracted? My husband once offered to hire a babysitter so I could make granola.


Anyway, everyone who tries it always says they love it and they want the recipe. And today, I am really feelin' the love, so here it is:

Feelin' the Love Granola
makes about 8 cups


1 cup whole-grain flakes, unsweetened
3 cups old fashioned rolled oats
2 tbsp whole ground flaxseed meal (optional- this imparts a slightly nutty, earthy taste)
1/2 tsp cinnamon*
1/4 tsp nutmeg (freshly ground is best, of course)
pinch of sea salt
3/4 cup almonds
1/2 cup cashews
6 tbsp vegetable oil (I use canola)**
6 tbsp real maple syrup
cooking spray
3/4 cup coconut shavings (unsweetened)
1/2 cup craisins (or chopped dates, or raisins)

Preheat oven to 300. Combine flakes, oats, flaxseed, spices, salt, and nuts in a bowl and sir. Drizzle in oil and syrup, stir to coat. Spread a sheet of parchment paper over a baking sheet and coat with cooking spray. Spread mixture evenly over the baking sheet. Bake for 10 minutes, then remove and stir. Bake another 10 minutes, stir. Bake 5 minutes, stir. Add coconut. Bake 5 minutes. Remove. Add craisins.
The granola should be golden, but not brown and not completely dried out.
Sprinkle on yogurt, or just eat plain. Enjoy.

* pretty sure I use way more than this, I never measure my spices (really helpful side note, huh?)

** I have started using just 4 tbsp of olive oil instead, and the taste has definitely improved, plus it's better for you. I also no longer use cooking spray or parchment paper because my awesome husband got me Calaphon baking sheets for Christmas, which I swear by. They make all cookies etc so much easier.

Jen  – (May 27, 2011 at 3:42 PM)  

You're fantastic. Loving this.. loving you. I've added to my reader, and I'll be keeping tabs, and hopefully trying some of your recipes. Miss you lady!

Ashley  – (May 27, 2011 at 4:11 PM)  

awwww, pal! speaking of me being so non-techy, I have no idea what a "reader" is, but thank you! miss you!

Ashley  – (May 27, 2011 at 4:13 PM)  

okay, Lane just explained it to me, thank you!

Mallory Rex  – (May 29, 2011 at 8:28 AM)  

Yum. After I graduate and have oodles of time I will definitely be making all of your recipes, but this one will be first! I LOVE home made granola!! Thanks pal!

Brekke  – (June 5, 2011 at 9:24 PM)  

i've been making homemade granola for a while but recently jmr had some spent grain left over from brewing that i threw in my last batch. gave it a nice nutty and hearty texture. i'll try your recipe next, looks good with the maple syrup. nice, blog! keep it up.

Post a Comment

Hooray for (nice) comments!... Thanks!

\