The Official Review of Food Movies (and a popcorn recipe)

In case it’s not evident, let me just state for the record: I love food. I love shopping for food, cooking food, eating food, talking about food, reading books and magazines about food, watching food movies... if anyone knows of food music, please enlighten me so that I can immediately make a new food Pandora station.


I think one reason I love cooking and food so much is that it is a simple pleasure. Life is so complicated, and so often I find myself dwelling on all the problems in the world (I listen to too much NPR). But then I can get in my kitchen and surround myself with olive oil, herbs, flour, and so many good things in life, and the problems melt away (sometimes literally in the form of butter…)
This is also why I enjoy food in media. After an intense scene in a movie or book, someone begins to whip cream, or fry an egg, and you forget what the conflict of the story even is; instead of comic relief, you get gastronomic relief (sounds like the name of an anti-bloating tablet). 

So, here is my Official Review of Food Movies:


Eat. Pray. Love.- Julia Roberts stars, surrounded by beautiful scenery and, for the portion in Italy, amazing food. What could be better? (actually, the book is, as Elizabeth Gilbert is an excellent author)
Watch with: bowl of pasta tossed with tomato, basil, and freshly-shaved parmesan... or a Napoleon


Ratatouille- I desperately hope that James will love this movie so I have an excuse to watch it over and over again. It's an animated movie about a lovable mouse who loves... you guessed it: food! This is a must-see for any age.
Watch with: a big bowl of popcorn (recipe following The Official Review) or a root beer float (just because they are fun and delicious) and your favorite people in the under-seven-years-old crowd.



Chocolat- I liked this movie, but I didn't love it. It's a little bittersweet (no pun intended). The movie is about a single mother and her daughter who move to a small town and set up a chocolate shop that for whatever reason the head of the towns' church forbids his congregation to indulge in. The plot is a bit bizarre (why would any religious leader taboo chocolate when it is obviously a gift from God?), but its worth watching, if only for the chocolate.
Watch with: anything chocolate. And by chocolate I am not talking about Nestle tollhouse here (although there is a time and a place for everything). I mean real, good, rich chocolate. 


No Reservations- I am sorry to lead you on, but no, sadly, this is not a full-length film starring Anthony Bourdain.  It is a romantic comedy (I believe it's based on a German movie called Mostly Martha) starring Catherine Zeta-Jones, Aaron Eckhart, and that adorable girl from Little Miss Sunshine. And, like all romantic comedies, it is unrealistic and predictable, but also cute and heartwarming.
Watch with: food. I remember a pizza scene, so possibly homemade, warm pizza. (My husband would like me to add steak to my food recommendations for this movie because, well, you'll see when you watch it...)


Julie and Julia- This is my all time favorite food movie. I could watch it again and again. It wasn't up for best picture at the Oscars or anything like that, but it is everything a movie should be: funny, heart-warming, full of food... one part in particular makes me cry every time, and I am not a crier when it comes to movies. Also, Meryl Streep does an incredible job as Julia Child. If you watch any movie from my list, watch this one.
Watch with: a loved one and food. Cheesy anything, or possibly bruschetta (Amy Adams makes some toward the beginning of the movie that makes me want to pause it and grab a snack), or anything French, of course. Bon Appetit!


The Big Night- A kind of strange movie (I think it's a remake?) about two brothers trying to make it in the restaurant business. It does have an all-star cast including Stanley Tucci (also in Julie and Julia), Mini Driver, and that guy that stars in the TV series Monk. The redeeming qualities: Louis Prima music and the food. Favorite quote from the movie: "To eat well is to be close to God."
Watch with: a loaf of crusty bread with good olive oil and balsamic vinegar to dip.


Cinnamon Sugar Popcorn
1/4 cup kernels
1 tsp canola oil
brown paper lunch bag
2 tsp butter, melted*
2 tsp cinnamon sugar
Pour kernels into the bottom of the paper bag, sprinkle with canola oil, shake. Fold top over about an inch, and tape shut with one small piece of tape. Lay the bag on its side in the microwave, fold side down. Microwave about 2 minutes, or until there is 3 or 4 seconds between pops. Pour butter in the bag and shake to coat. Sprinkle with cinnamon sugar and shake to coat. Enjoy.
*I like my popcorn with just enough butter to make the cinnamon sugar stick, but if you like a really rich butter taste, I suggest using 1 to 2 tbsp of butter. 

Parmesan Popcorn 
1/4 cup kernels
1 tsp olive oil
brown paper lunch bag
2 tsp olive oil
1 tsp salt
1 tbsp grated parmesan
Pour kernels into the bottom of the paper bag, sprinkle with 1 tsp olive oil, shake. Fold top over about an inch, and tape shut with one small piece of tape. Lay the bag on its side in the microwave, fold side down. Microwave about 2 minutes, or until there is 3 or 4 seconds between pops. Pour the rest of the oil in the bag and shake to coat. Sprinkle with salt and parmesan and shake to coat. Enjoy.



Post a Comment

Hooray for (nice) comments!... Thanks!

\